Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It is a poor idea to lie to yourself

Is it really that bad? Lets be honest we all have done it some or other time in some or other situation…where you tell yourself, “I really did my part for the group assignment, I don’t have to do more” or “I know I have studied enough why did I fail?” or even “I don’t know why she doesn’t like me I have done nothing wrong to do her harm”.

We all lie to ourselves some or other time to make ourselves feel better about something we have done or are going to do. Sometimes we even seek comfort from our friends to ease our guilt. But why do we do it, too sooth our conscious and to make the truth lighter?

It is nice to think that you did nothing wrong to have a guilt free conscience, but it will hit you like cold water in the face when you have to wake up to reality.

We must start to face the music to stand up for the things we do, take ownership of our wrong doing and correct them or challenge ourselves to do better. It is so difficult to be honest all the time, but that is the only way to feel that true happiness.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that lying to yourself only creates and developes a mindset of "It is okey to lie" This will eventually only lead to lying to other people aswell. Does this mean that I have never lied to myself?NOOOO!!Ofcourse not.But it is important to recognise the seriousness of the issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody wants to believe or admit that they lie to themselves all the time. Saying things as you mentioned such as "I don't know why she doesn't like me, i have done nothing wrong to do her harm" is one of two options: either the girl is just sour and doesn't like people for her own insecurities, or there is a valid reason. The mind and brain knows when it is lying, but our mind also likes to ignore and forget. It IS about making the truth lighter. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete